Building and Strengthening Tenant Action
Buscando Acción y Solidaridad Que Transforme el Arrendamiento
We are a team of tenants, organizers, attorneys, and paralegals working to create a future where all Austinites have access to healthy and affordable housing.
We are always looking for talented and passionate folks to join our team.
Check back regularly for updated opportunities to help us achieve our mission.
language justice volunteers
We work with linguistically diverse tenants and want to be able to communicate with everyone. We have a commitment to language justice and strive to provide interpretation at every meeting in the languages of all participants. This can get expensive, though, so to make this sustainable, we need volunteers to help with translation and interpretation.
Assistance is needed in translating flyers, educational materials and media projects, interpreting at tenant meetings, and helping with BASTA outreach activities.
Volunteers will be contacted based on need. Currently, we need support in Pashto, Farsi, Arabic and Vietnamese. We sincerely appreciate all offers of assistance.
Please only apply to opportunities for languages that you are fluent/proficient in. Follow the link below and submit your application via VolunteerMatch.
In furthering the cause of tenant and housing justice in the Austin area, Building and Strengthening Tenant Action (BASTA) seeks an organizer to join our team. BASTA, housed in Texas RioGrande Legal Aid (TRLA) works with low-income Austin Renters to fight for tenant respect and dignity and to advocate for healthy, safe, and affordable housing. BASTA employs a variety of advocacy techniques, including education, organizing, and litigation.
• Visiting substandard properties to engage and educate Austin renters about their right to live in healthy and safe homes.
• Forming and strengthening tenants associations to address collective concerns and issues.
• Developing leadership skills of tenants association members, including outreach, meeting facilitation, public speaking, and negotiation skills.
• Strategizing with tenants associations on the optimal ways to address their concerns, such as collective repair requests, meeting with property managers, and reporting substandard conditions to code enforcement.
• Educating Austinite renters on tenants rights and the connection between housing deficiencies and health, through the development of accessible materials and the use of popular education techniques.
• Documenting outreach activities and compiling data to track outcomes and efficacy of the project.
• All other duties assigned.
• Bilingual in English and Spanish, Vietnamese, Arabic or Pashto.
• Dedication to economic, social and racial justice.
• Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of people, including residents and property owners.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Ability to work evenings and weekends.
• Vehicle and driver’s license.
• Previous outreach, community engagement, and community organizing experience.
• Knowledge of housing issues and/or landlord-tenant law.
• Personal experience with low-income housing.
• Computer proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and willingness to develop additional skills.
To apply for this position, email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Application Deadline: May 15th
BASTA is a non-profit project dedicated to helping Austin renters work together to improve the conditions of their homes and communities.