We are a team of tenants, organizers, attorneys, and paralegals working to create a future where all Austinites have access to healthy and affordable housing.
We are always looking for talented and passionate folks to join our team.
Check back regularly for updated opportunities to help us achieve our mission.
Tenant Organizer Position
The outreach worker is part of the Building and Strengthening Tenant Action (“BASTA”) project team to support low-income Austin residents’ ability to access safe, decent, and affordable housing through a variety of modes of advocacy, including education, litigation and empowerment strategies.
• Visiting substandard properties and educate residents on their legal right to live in healthy housing, the steps they can take to get the property owners to make repairs, and the effects slum housing has on their health.
• Help residents document substandard conditions and needed repairs.
• Assist residents in requesting repairs, meeting with property managers, and reporting substandard conditions, as needed, to code enforcement. Monitor responsiveness and follow up as needed.
• Document outreach activities and compile data to track outcomes and efficacy of the project.
• All other duties assigned
• Bilingual in English and Spanish.
• Dedication to economic, social and racial justice.
• Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of people, including residents and property owners.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Ability to work evenings and weekends.
• Vehicle and driver’s license.
• Previous outreach, community engagement, and community organizing experience.
• Knowledge of housing issues and/or landlord-tenant law.
• Personal experience with low-income housing.
• Computer proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and willingness to develop additional skills.
To apply for this position, email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
language justice volunteers
BASTA Language Justice Initiative
We work with linguistically diverse tenants and want to be able to communicate with everyone. We have a commitment to language justice and strive to provide interpretation at every meeting in the languages of all participants. This can get expensive, though, so to make this sustainable, we need volunteers to help with translation and interpretation.
Assistance is needed in translating flyers, educational materials and media projects, interpreting at tenant meetings, and helping with BASTA outreach activities.
Volunteers will be contacted based on need. Currently, we need support in Pashto, Farsi, Arabic and Vietnamese. We sincerely appreciate all offers of assistance.
Please only apply to opportunities for languages that you are fluent/proficient in. Follow the link below and submit your application via VolunteerMatch.
BASTA is a non-profit project dedicated to helping Austin renters work together to improve the conditions of their homes and communities.